Bake your own all-natural Halloween dog treats
Your dog will love these home baked biscuits with nutritious pumpkin and anti-inflammatory cinnamon.
Follow our easy gluten-free recipe to treat your dog this Halloween. No tricks – just delicious and wholesome ingredients.
We used organic ingredients from our local farm shop, however, you will be able to source all of these ingredients from most major supermarkets.
This recipe makes three to four trays of biscuit treats. If you have a smaller dog you may wish to make a smaller quantity.
- 150g fresh pumpkin or squash
- 300g gluten free flour (quinoa or buckwheat would be perfect) - we used buckwheat
- 2 large free-range eggs
- 2 tablespoons almond or cashew butter - we used organic smooth cashew
- ½ flat teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon (organic if possible)
Cinnamon is a powerful spice loaded with antioxidants. It has anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties which make it a useful addition to your dog's diet to provide intestinal support. Dogs also tend to enjoy the flavour of cinnamon.
Alternative spices or herbs you could use in place of the cinnamon if you prefer:
- ½ teaspoon fennel
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamon
- ½ teaspoon ground caraway
- ½ teaspoon parsley
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger - a wonderful addition but it is quite strong, so we only use half the quantity.
We used a food processor, but you can just as easily make these without.
- Preheat oven to 180°C / gas mark 4 / 350°F
- Half pumpkin, peel and scoop out seeds. Dice.
- Cover with water and boil with lid for 15-20 minutes until soft. Drain.
- Blend (or mash) until pureed.
- Add all the remaining ingredients.
- Mix until a dough forms. Add a little extra water/flour if needed.
- Turn out onto floured work surface and roll out to 0.5-1cm thick.
- Use smallest cookie cutter to cut out treats.
- Place on baking tray and bake for about 20 minutes or until firm to touch.
- Leave to cool before storing in an air-tight jar.
The treats can be stored in an air-tight jar for a week.
This recipe has been veterinarian approved and all of the ingredients are safe for dogs. However, please avoid this recipe if your dog has a specific allergy to any of the ingredients.
Our Dog Testers have confirmed these natural treats are delicious, even the owner-declared ‘fussy-eaters’. We would love to hear if your dog enjoys them too, please leave us a comment on our Facebook page: www.facebook.com/VermXUK
If you are interested in natural health care for your pets, Verm-X provide a range of award-winning nutritional supplements, expertly developed with leading medical herbalists. Our products are made from pure, 100% natural, active ingredients and absolutely no man-made chemicals.
Enjoy 15% off at verm-x.com with code SPOOKY15.